Saturday 8 November 2014

My Bucket List


I thought I'd do a bit of a different post today. I was thinking recently about everything on my bucket list (side note: if you don't know what a bucket list is, it's essentially a list of things that you want to do before you die) and I realised that actually, I've done quite a few of them, so I thought I'd share them here.


1. Meeting JK Rowling
When I was younger, I was the biggest Harry Potter fan you could imagine. I've read the books inside out, bought the merchandise and written far too much fanfiction. To this day, I still base part of my judgements of people over whether they like Harry Potter or not - sorry, not sorry. So of course, meeting the fabulous Jo was on my bucket list and I jumped at the chance when I got a text from one of my friends at 2am saying tickets were about to go on sale to meet her in Bath. It was an amazing night and I will never forget the experience. I even left with a signed copy of A Casual Vacancy and met some truly lovely people while we were waiting for the train home!

2. Cutting my hair off for charity
Ever since I found out that it is possible to cut off your hair and have it turned into a wig for a child with cancer, I've always wanted to do it. This was about 4 years ago but the charity I looked into didn't allow for hair to be coloured and mine was highlighted, so I decided to grow out my natural hair (and then promptly forgot why I was doing it and dyed it all a year later...) However in July of this year, I found The Little Princess Trust and within a week, I cut off 11 inches of hair! Because my hair is so thick, we managed to separate it into 2 bunches to be turned into wigs, and I also raised £500 for the charity in that week. Do I regret doing it? For my own vanity's sake, yes, because I am not enjoying the short hair, but knowing that as a result of my actions, at least 2 little girls now feel like princesses with their new hair warms my heart and makes me so glad that I did it.

3. Working as an elf
If you don't like Christmas, I am pretty much public enemy number one around Christmas time... I have far too much energy and excitement for my own good so this year, I've decided to channel that productively by becoming an Elf. I've not actually started yet - my first shift is tomorrow - but I'm so so excited to start that I couldn't leave this off the list!

4. Go on holiday with my friends
This August, I climbed aboard a plane with 3 of my best friends, no parents in sight, and we flew off to spend a week in Mallorca together. It was a lovely week chilling out in the sun with no cares and our only responsibility being to remember our passports which even then, wasn't managed and a week that I'll always remember fondly. I think taking steps like that are a really big part of growing up and I might see if I can convince the girls to go to Greece this year, as that's another item on my bucket list!

5. Win a public speaking competition
Surprising as it may seem to someone who has only met me in recent years, I used to be as shy as could be. Anything to do with talking in front of people or being given attention used to make me feel horrible. Around my early teenage years, I realised that this would be a real set back for me and ever since, I've made the conscious effort to improve it, and now it almost comes naturally to me. Earlier this year, I took part in a public speaking competition in a team of 3 and we won - I don't think I have ever been more proud of myself. I even received a fancy little silver plate as a prize!

So that's just a few of the things I've always wanted to do that I have been fortunate enough to have done in the past few years. Obviously that's not me saying 'I'm sorted now' - there's still plenty more to do on the list and I may write an update if I do end up crossing a few more things off!

No comments

Post a Comment

© Meguana
Maira Gall