Tuesday 3 October 2017

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child


I feel like this post is almost redundant because it's so hard to get tickets to see Harry Potter and the Cursed Child that you know if you want to go and see it or not. However this post is more for me personally to remember the experience. The premise of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is that it picks up where Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows finishes, and follows the life of one of Harry's sons.

I don't want to talk too much about the actual plot of the play, partly because I have a few issues with it and also because we were all given badges instructing us to keep the secret. The plot of The Cursed Child was meant to be kept a secret so it would surprise you as the play went (although they did publish the play for it which I feel like most people have read by now....).

The play was split into two parts. You have the option to either pick two consecutive nights to watch or you can have Part One as a matinee and Part Two in the evening. This is what we did, as going to London is a bit of a trek from where I live so it made more sense for us, but I know I have friends who did it two nights on the trot and preferred that as it prolonged the theatre experience.

As I mentioned earlier, I wasn't the biggest fan of the plot of the play to say the least. I remember reading it all in one evening and at one point, I actually put the book down to laugh out loud at how ridiculous the plot was. I mean don't get me wrong, the scene was almost as ridiculous in the play too (for those who have seen/read it - I'm talking about the bit with the trolley lady here), but that reaction probably sums up my feelings towards the book the best.

However, all in all, I do think the plot worked a lot better once it was performed on the stage. The magic was amazingly done, it honestly felt like watching one of the films at some parts. It actually did feel like an extension of the franchise, whereas the book made me feel a little like I was reading some bad fanfiction I wrote when I was 13.

Unfortunately when we went, there were building works being performed on the theatre which meant it was a bit of a maze to get in and out of and the queues were quite long, but as with all London theatres, it was in a great location so we could just pop off and get some quick food in the time between the two parts. We went for a Wahaca and even tried the vegan Ben and Jerry's (I'm a fan).

Considering we'd booked our tickets for September 2017 in August 2016 and paid over £100 for both parts, I had hyped up this play a lot in my head beforehand and I'm happy to say I don't think it disappointed at all. The effects were amazing, the acting was flawless and the overall experience was simply magical!

No comments

Post a Comment

© Meguana
Maira Gall