Saturday 19 August 2017

Bobble Bottle Review

Is that a collection of attractive candid photos? No, not in the slightest. But I thought it would be a good way to start a post about something that goes absolutely everywhere with me (as shown by the assortment of photos I have featuring it) - my Bobble Bottle.


If you don't know, a Bobble Bottle is a water bottle with a colourful 'bobble' carbon filter in it. The plastic the bottle is made from is BPA free, so it is better for you than to use a regular plastic water bottle from the supermarket, and it filters as you drink to make the water 'tastier'.

I've had 3 different variations of Bobble Bottle so far, although all of them have been the Classic style - the 550ml light blue top with the cap attached, the 550ml lavender top with the cap attached and the 1l magenta with a clear removable cap. I bought the first one myself as part of my moving to uni shop, but the following two were gifts from my mum and one of my best friends the following years.

First off, I'll talk about the differences in caps - I prefer having the separate cap for drinking as I found that the one that was attached had a habit of hitting you in the face if you don't make an effort to hold it (can be quite difficult one handed) and fills up with water when you're filling the bottle, so it's a bit of a faff. That being said, I lost the removable cap for my pink bottle about 2 months into having it... So if you're someone who is good at not losing stuff, definitely go separate cap. Both of the two types of cap are very durable and they have a good closure once they're on.

In terms of the colour, it doesn't really make a difference to me. If I had to pick, I'd probably say the light blue was my favourite, but I quite like the whole range of colours that the Bobble comes in.

In regards to the size, I prefer the 1l personally because I drink about 3 litres of water a day so it just helps make it easier to not go and have to refill all of the time. However the 1l bottle is quite an inconvenient size as it doesn't fit in the sinks in the bathrooms at my uni so I have to get dressed to go to the kitchen to refill in the night, and it won't fit in the machines in our offices at work so I have to go down to the kitchens to find a tap. It also means it can be quite heavy to carry round if it is full, but obviously that would be the same for any 1l bottle of water!

One of the main attractions for most people towards this bottle is the fact that you can change the filters instead of buying a new bottle. I personally haven't done this and have opted to buy a new bottle each time, mostly because the cost of a new bottle is about £8-11 whereas a new filter is about £5, so there's not a lot in it. I also find the bottles themselves do tend to get a bit battered after a lot of use, because I'm known for dragging them round with me everywhere, so it is nice to just get a new bottle every so often.

As for my opinion, I don't think I need to spend long saying that I quite like them. I think the plastic of the bottle is hard enough for it to keep it's shape, but still a bit squidgy which I like. I do think that it helps Birmingham water taste better (I am really not a fan) and in general, having the water bottle sat out does encourage me to drink more - but I'm sure any old water bottle would have this effect.

However one thing that does annoy me about it as after you drink from it, the filter makes a noise as it lets air flow back into the bottle and help it regain its shape, which can be quite annoying when you're sat in a silent library/exam room. Also as mentioned above, the bottle can get a bit battered, but I get more than my fair use out of each one so for £10, I can't really complain about that!

Would I repurchase? Hmm let me think about that...

No comments

Post a Comment

© Meguana
Maira Gall